Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Writing IR books

I feel as a writer who's trying to break out into the mainstream with my first IR novel (WM/BW). I've found it very hard to get someone(agents/publishers) to read my entire mss. A few agents have requested the first 40 or 50 pages, but I always get it back with the same notes other struggling writers get.

"Thank you so much for you time, but you're not quite what I'm looking for." "Or you've a good story but sorry I can't take you on at the moment.Good luck in finding a publisher."

I want someone to jump ahead of the line and say "Yes!" "I want to take a chance on your book and introduce you to the world of romance." But I don't see that happening in the near future.

My book doesn't have any baby mama drama or family who's against the hero and heroine dating outside their race. My mss is a wonderful love story between two characters that overcome the emotional demons to find their way to each other.

I don't want to come across as bitter or like I want this handed to me on a silver platter. The only thing I'm asking for is that the writing world stop looking for the same old receipe when it comes to an IR romacne and give some new authors a fair chance.

Here's my question for the day.

1) Do you really think that a new writer who follows the same of recipe for writing an IR romance will get a book deal quicker than one who go outside the box with the way the writing world is moving right now?

4 comments:

Rachel Cade said...

well i dont write ir romances with the main conflict being race either
as far as rejections i did submit my ir historical to genesis press but never got a response
-- i did get a rejection from avon--still dont know why I submitted there but whatever
ir romances are still far from mainstream - so i think someone who doesn't take as many chances IS more likely to get a deal--and its sad for the fans that have moved beyond it

Marie Rochelle said...

I've submitted to Genesis Press and Avon myself. I got rejection back from both of them too. I don't why I sent my IR book to Avon either, but I wanted to go out of the box some.

I've thought about sending my mss to Harlequin, but I don't like how they water down the IR romances when they publish them.

I want my readers to know both characters are different races, but it doesn't defy my whole book.

I do take chances with my novel. I've finished my first novel along with the sequel late last year an I haven't had any luck with any mainstream publishers, but I'm not giving up because life is all about chances.

Thanks so much for your comment Rachel. I totally see where you're coming from.

IR LOVER said...

Going outside the box is a risk. But so is writing IR romances.

A lot of Mass Market publishers are still leary of the subjuect and just don't know how to handle it. So they water it down to make it more acceptable.

It would be nice if they just tell us exactly what they are looking for and stop being so vauge about it.

I'm glad you are not giving up. Don't. Just like Genesis Press when they first got started, took a risk and started accepting IR books. Just like them, there will be another Mass Market publisher that is willing to do the same and step outside the box

Marie Rochelle said...

Stephanie,

I totally agree with you but something I get tired of hearing the same old song and dance. However all the rejections don't mean a thing when you finally get the one "YES."